Friday, January 2, 2009
Slumdog Millionaire Meets My Parents
My parents and I watched it together this past New Years. It was a really memorable and funny moment in time for me. They hadn't been to a movie theater since Grease was released. In general, my family is not big on outings. Why go out in the cold of a theater or a sports stadium when you can watch all in HD on DVR? is our motto. But my father's best friend told my father that when he saw the movie, the whole audience gave it a standing ovation at the end. This tipped my father and mother's interest and halfway through dinner, we decided to go for it. I know it was going to be a tender moment when my father insisted on the popcorn. "I wish we hadn't eaten so much," he said. "Why?" I said. Because a movie means we eat popcorn." "It doesn't have to." I said. I thought I was looking out, my father has a heart condition and so I didn't think it would be good idea. We ended up getting a large and with a lot of butter pressed on top, as per his request. As tender for me--him trying to tip the cash register person, him passing gas in the lobby without shame, my mother and father having a point by point running commentary about what was happening. They were still at home. Why is it this way with them always?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment